Required Information and Documents
The following documents must be uploaded / the following information entered directly in our online tool during the application period:
- Certificate of the bachelor’s degree with a proof of the average grade and explanation of the grading scale together with evidence of the minimum pass-grade required as well as the maximum possible grade in the subject concerned. Please note that we have to reject applications without a proof of average grade certified by your examination office!
- Outline of lecture courses and/or transcripts of records of the courses you have attended.
- If your documents are not in German or English an official translation has to be additionally provided.
- If you have not yet finished your bachelor’s studies at the time of your application, please provide an official transcript of all examination results to date, and an overall weighted average grade. In case of admission you will receive a conditional acceptance offer as long as your final grade is pending. Please note that at the time of your application you must have completed at least 75 % of the requirements of your bachelor's curriculum (in the case of a 180 ECTS course, this would be 135 ECTS points).
- Upload a scan of your GRE results in the application tool, (75th percentile or higher), only in the quantitative section.
- Applicants who cannot provide GRE results by the application deadline, must take a written test of admission at LMU in Munich. You will be invited to the test with a two weeks' notice.
- proven either by a university degree from an English-language institution of higher education or from an English instructed program
- or a university entrance qualification acquired from an English-language institution
- or the results of the verbal section of the GRE general test (75th percentile or higher)
- or any other proof for proficiency in English with at least level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. See here the complete list of acceptable tests. (Please scroll down to the middle of the page to "Languages-specific scales", English.)
- A motivation letter in English, at a length of 2,000 to 3,000 characters. The letter should describe your goals in pursuing graduate studies and in particular why you would like to complete the master’s program in Quantitative Economics at LMU Munich. The letter has to be copied into the respective text field in our applicaton online-tool.
- Please upload your up-to-date CV in English.
- Please indicate names and contact details of two professors who are willing to issue a letter of recommendation upon request. At the time of the application only the contact details of the referees are asked for. Reference letters are only asked for if the Program Committee needs further information about the applicant. In this case we will contact referees as soon as possible and ask for reference letters with a deadline according to the international practice.
- We do not accept applications after the deadline.
- Documents provided by e-mail/ordinary mail or handed in personally will not be considered; only exception are GRE results (see above).
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- If your application is rejected, you can apply once again in the application period of the following year.
- If your application is rejected this is without effect for an application to the Master of Economics at LMU Munich (please see supplementary notes in the FAQ section).